4 Jan 2012

Winter project list

In this first post of 2012 I thought I'd list the projects that are "on the to-do list" for the coming few months. As always, this is subject to change without notice as my interest and enthusiasm goes through waves:
  1. Lightbeam RX. The aim is to detect the GB3CAM 481THz optical beacon at a distance of 22km from my nearest highspot. So far I have breadboarded several good sensitivity optical detector heads and the next stage is to complete the packaging of this into a screened box and attach it to my optics which also need a bit of engineering to complete. Target is this to be completed next week.
  2. Light beam transceiver. Following on from (1), this will either be a transceive head with a transverter or an FM transceiver that I can duplicate so I can talk to others who can borrow the second unit.
  3. Rebuilt VLF earth mode beacon transmitter. In a few weeks time I will be able to put out a stable signal on 8.97kHz  (the usual VLF test frequency) rather than 8.76kHz. My intention is to rebuild the whole beacon TX so I can run 10wpm CW, QRSS3, 30 and 60 modes as well as WSPR. I may also add a 100W PA option later. With this kit I hope to improve my personal earth mode DX record of 6km.
  4. Improved LF loop and E-field probe antennas. I want to erect a more permanent external antenna for VLF and LF grabber work and mount these away from the house. Up to now I have used my 80m square vertical loop on RX but this is currently down.
  5. Case up the 137kHz transverter. This has been a rat's nest on a piece of copper laminate for too long!
  6. 28MHz WSPR transceiver based on a 14.060MHz crystal doubled in a DSB direct conversion transceiver circuit.
Now, how many of these projects get done is a matter of conjecture, but I hope at least 50% of them will get finished.

No comments: