24 Aug 2014

VLF experiments

My neurosurgeon believes I should now be driving again and so do I.   I am waiting to hear from the DLVA. It is now a year since I last drove or touched alcohol, because of my brain bleed and the op that followed it.

One of the first things I want to do is some 8.97kHz tests from the "new" QTH. I say new QTH, but we have lived there over a year now, although I was in hospital for 3.5 months. This test will involve driving to some local test  sites to see how strong (or weak) my 5W test signal from home is. The drives are quite short.

3 comments:

David (G0LRD) said...

Roger,
Do you think the 25km to my QTH is achievable with your VLF tx ? I'm happy to try setting up an RX test.
David

Roger G3XBM said...

David, in a word no. The best I have achieved with 5W and "utilities assisted earth mode" is 6km out in Fenland roads. A long carrier test over several days at about 30km was unsuccessful. I HAVE copied G3XIZ at 46km and several Europeans using proper radiating systems. DX is possible but not with my current earth mode system.

G1KQH said...

Good News on the improving health, you must be a bit parched going without a beer for so long?

73 G1KQH