11 Nov 2014

Using the W5OLF 500mW 10m WSPR beacon today

W5OLF WSPR beacon - complete - no PC needed
This WSPR-AXE really is a very impressive little rig, in my case for 10m WSPR.  Because of my current disabled state -  I find all electronics building just about impossible - Jay very kindly sold me a built unit to evaluate. Results in just a few hours of operating have been truly impressive. No PC is needed as long as the push button is pressed at the start of an even minute. Jay says it stays stable for weeks thereafter. I ran mine for 3.5 hours and got masses of decodes. After lunch it has been getting LOTS of spots from the USA. I am sure it will reach Australia soon.

The unit needs about 15 minutes to frequency stabilise and is always on (the PA can be turned off), but it randomises the slots within the WSPR transmit window. This means it is unlikely to be "clobbered" by more powerful stations or cause others co-channel issues. 500mW seems plenty. In a word - BRILLIANT.

Best DX report (so far) today is FR1GZ (9724km).
10m WSPR - unique spots with the W5OLF beacon today, arranged by distance
If you want to buy one Jay W5OLF may be contacted on w5olf@comcast.net .

3 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I still have a 30m W5OLF WSPR transmitter kit. I should build it one of these days. It's just a matter of how I divide my time. Too many things in this hobby I like. 73, Bas

Roger G3XBM said...

I can see myself buying versions for other bands Bas. Possibly 20m? I am VERY impressed with my 10m unit. The likely kit price of $49(?) plus shipping sounds good value.

Roger G3XBM said...

I think the latest versions are new. They now transmit continuously but randomise the TX frequency within the WSPR window to minimise interference.

So far, I have "sync'd" my unit to the start of an even minute at the start of the day and not touched it again all day. Jay claims it will be OK for weeks.