1 Dec 2014

My poor voice (stroke)

For reasons I don't understand, my brain is unable (at present) to communicate properly to my (fully working) voice box. My voice box was checked with a camera (down my nose) a few months ago.

Although my speech sounds OK to me (clarity and loudness) apparently it is a whisper and hard to understand. All the time I feel breathless.I am told this is all a result of my brain bleed and it will, in the end, recover. I have to be patient! 

Although I can manage short speech periods on the air (VHF/UHF UKAC sessions, for 30-60 minutes and on our Monday 2m net for similar times) I find voice QSOs effortful, hence why I use WSPR and other digital modes a lot right now. Hopefully thing will improve in 2015.

4 comments:

Jeff ko7m said...

Get well Roger. Rest your voice and keep on with the digital modes, including CW if you are able.

73's de Jeff - ko7m

Roger G3XBM said...

Jeff, thank you for your kind wishes.

DrTeeth said...

Don't rest your voice too much. Your brain needs practice to allow you to recover by rewiring itself. Recovery from a CVA (stroke) can be slow depending on various factors.

Good luck with your recovery.

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Guy. No I won't rest my voice. I agree my brain needs to relearn.