6 Mar 2015

Stroke

My brain is still exhibiting some bizarre effects. I still have problems with drinking thin liquids, speaking, getting tired and feeling drunk when walking, but it is not seeing obvious errors with words on my blogs that is fascinating. My problem, back in Sept 2013, was a cerebellum brain bleed, that was operated on.

http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/cerebellum
http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/cerebellum
For example, in my last post on this blog I wrote "as" instead of "has" but it took a long time to realise this was wrong. It is as if my brain does not process words quite correctly, or at least not quickly. It is not a serious issue and I correct the errors as soon as I do spot them. It happens quite a bit so I think it is real and not just me being paranoid.

I am finding it harder to get absorbed in TV dramas too. It is as if my memory has been affected in some way. My basic intellect is still sharp, but recalling some things can be a problem. Maybe this is just age? I am desperate to get my "old self" back, but know it could be a long road. Knowing now how bad I was I guess I was pretty lucky and I could have ended up a terrible mess.

Richard G3TFX told my XYL to get me into hospital fast in Sept 2013. Looking back, this probably saved my life.

See http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/cerebellum.

3 comments:

Steve McDonald said...

Roger - I suspect the fact that you miss easy errors when proof-reading your text is quite normal. I recently read an explanaition of this. The fact that you are proof-reading what your own brain produced is the problem. It seems that our brains are aware of what the next word should be, or at least what we expect it to be, since we have already created that group of words...our tolerance to catch the errors goes way down as we happily skip-over what we have expected to read, even though there is an error....happens all the time with me, and often takes more than one proof-read to catch the error. I have found that doing the proof-read out loud, rather than silently, has a much tighter tolerance for error-trapping!

Steve VE7SL

Dick said...

As a retired technical editor, I agree with VE7SL. As for TV drama, I usually find my mind wandering. The problem may be the brain of the programming creator, not your own.

Rupert N2OTO said...

Roger:

Operating the digital modes allows be to enjoy listening to broadcast radio.

One of my favorites is the TED Radio Hour. A few weeks back I heard this talk.

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/20/384949665/how-can-a-stroke-change-your-brain

On this page you can listen to the TED Radio Hour story and then watch the actual talk.

I hope it will give you some insight into your situation and maybe cause you to write about it in more detail, since you are an excellent communicator.

Have a great weekend.