13 Apr 2015

Sunspots and 10m propagation - Mon April 13th 2015

Sunspot number today is a respectable 64 (K=2) and 10m propagation is expected to be "fair". So far this morning on 10m WSPR, my 500mW beacon has been spotted by local G4IKZ (18km) only, although it is still early. 

If the 10m band is in "fair" condition, I'd expect a few real DX spots, as long as there are active stations! At the moment (0934z) there are only 29 stations active on 10m WSPR in the whole world according to WSPRnet.  I really do hope people stick with 10m when the going gets tough. On 6m lack of WSPR activity has been a real killer. I am sure WSPR will be an excellent tool for finding short 10m openings.

As I have said before, even at the depths of the solar minimum I have worked South Americans (greater than 11000km away) with real QRP SSB. If there are to be 10m openings then WSPR will find them.

UPDATE 1114z:  Still only local G4IKZ (18km) spotting me on 10m WSPR this morning. I think we are seeing the effects of fewer active stations on 10m now and the end of springtime conditions. I have serious doubts we'll see any USA spots today on 10m WSPR. However this is 10m and anything is possible!

No comments: