31 Aug 2015

Sunspots and 10m - Mon Aug 31st 2015

Sunspot number today is 50 (K=2) but 10m propagation is expected to remain "poor" today. We are now at the crossover from summertime conditions (mainly Es) on the higher HF bands and autumnal conditions which will see Es all but go, apart from the brief fleeting openings, to be replaced by F2 propagation. As I have said many times, I expect this autumn and winter we will have one more decent 10m "season" before the band takes a nosedive to behave more like a VHF band. Es is usually productive at any point in the solar cycle in the spring and summer months. The CQWW SSB contest (late October) should be good on 10m for this season. I must try not to miss it this year! Last year I just forgot and the autumn before I was in hospital.

UPDATE 1412z:  Es on 10m (Italy and Germany) but no signs at all of Es on 6m WSPR.

2 comments:

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Late October sounds good. DOn't forget the ARRL 10m contest in December

vy 73 de Jan, OZ9QV

Roger G3XBM said...

CQWW SSB is a great opportunity to work LOTS of stations. Even with QRP I usually fill a couple of logbook pages. I have never submitted scores.