8 Feb 2016

KX3 and FT817

Further to my earlier comments in a blog post yesterday, I have received several comments about both rigs. The general view remains that the performance of the KX3 exceeds that of the FT817ND although it is in many ways less suited to field use than the FT817.

I have never owned a KX3 as these are very expensive in the UK. I own both a very old FT817 and a recent FT817ND. For the modes I use mostly, the FT817s do a great job. I just wish Elecraft radios were not so expensive and looked, and were, more robust. I for one would think twice about using an expensive KX3 as a field radio. I am sure they work really well, but they look flimsy. A fully loaded KX3 is currently more than twice the cost of the FT817, which is a fine radio. My FT817 gets used from MF (with my homebrew transverter) all the way to 70cms. The FT817 has worked all over the world, including indoor handheld SSB QSOs with the USA.

For the avoidance of any doubt I love the FT817 radios and would like a KX3 for home use, if the latter was less expensive.  My views, others may not agree.

If you have views, please leave your name and callsign. In future, unattributable, anonymous, unkind, comments will be deleted.  I want to foster debate, but please keep it civil.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

I enjoyed reading all the comments (including the links). I think they are generally well balanced and cover all my observations.

However I can't help but feel that the majority of KX3's are used only in the shack as a cheap K3 equivalent with a 100w and / or 500w amp and / or PX3 Panadaptor and not for portable operation as portrayed in the adverts.

Folks say that the KX3 is robust enough for portable operation, yet they spend a lot of extra money on 3rd party heatsinks, side and front panels, padded bags and other protective cases which they don't factor into the overall cost.

Other issues that folks should consider with the KX3 include:-

The number of cables that have to be plugged into the side of the radio if you want to use digi-modes or the various accessories.

The frequency / temperature stability of the base KX3 is not really good enough for narrow band digi-modes such as WSPR. You can perform a temperature calibration routine to improve this, which involves putting it in a fridge. But shouldn't this have been done at the factory ?

The built in charger option which needs more than 12v to work correctly.

Although the KX3 does not have the same depth of menus as the 817, you do need to remember how to navigate to the various functions in the KX3. This involves quite a lot of pressing, holding, turning and scrolling. Which I personally find difficult to remember the various sequences (which are not always intuitive or consistent in method) without crib notes. Also new functions are often provided with new firmware updates (which is great) but the downside is that yet another set of command sequences need to be learned. These are often not updated in the on-line user manual for some time, so it's best to keep a copy of the release notes when you load new software.

Finally the Elecraft user group is very protective of all things Elecraft and don't like any dissention in the ranks. This makes it very difficult to raise genuine issues without being shouted down. For this reason I completely avoid posting on the group.

From this you may get the impression that I don't like the KX3, which is not true. I think it is a very good, top quality radio. However I don't think it is suited to the purpose it is advertised for, and I don't like the attitude of a large number of Elecraft owners who defend the products at all costs, and / or turn a blind eye to any deficiencies that may be present.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.net
www.tc2m.info
http://websdr.suws.org.uk



takis perreas said...

Hi Roger!
ELECRAFT itself advertise the KX3 as an "Ultra-Compact Home/Portable/Mobile Station"
Yes indeed it is an excellent, SDR architecture, HF radio. Having built or restore a couple of G3TSO radios I have to admit that it is an extraordinary one.
But it is NOT mobile NOR portable radio. That's the point and that is where FT-817 wins hands down!
73

http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3.htm