8 Mar 2016

2m VHF beacons

So far, I have not tried listening to the 2m Cornish, N.Ireland and Scottish beacons with the big-wheel horizontal omni antenna. I must give these a try. I expect I shall only hear them via MS or lifts and possibly aircraft reflections. On my 3el 2m beam the N.Ireland beacon was right on the edge. Normally I can copy the Kent beacon as well as beacons in Holland and Belgium.

GB3NGI (N.Ireland) 144.482MHz Ballymena
GB3MCB (Cornwall) 144.469MHz St Austell
GB3ANG (Scotland)  144.453MHz Angus

See http://www.microwavers.org/maps/2m.htm .

UPDATE 1517z: A casual listen on each frequency (probably not for long enough) and none was detected. I shall try again and listen for each for longer. I remember the GB3RMK Scottish beacon on 6m could always be copied by MS pings for a few seconds every 10-15 minutes. I was using a wire dipole at the time.

No comments: